Anyone who listens to and follows Donald Trump throughout his “Political Career” knows that much of what he says is the opening of a long negotiating process. He is not a politician, he actually says/tweets what he is thinking at that time. I find that refreshing and a little scary at the same time. And, he gets a little tiring along the way. Not from what he says, but I have to think about what he means and what he intends. He speaks very plainly, but behind the words are huge and significant meanings. Donald Trump is a very successful businessman. He mental state is one of always negotiating. He loves it.
People don’t get it, they just don’t get it. His detractors point to the words and get a boost by misinterpreting the meaning, on purpose – like all good politicians do. We can’t believer any of them. The President is negotiating with the Russians, Iranians, Israelis, Palestinians, Democrats, Media types, public opinion, China, and the legal system. He is positioning himself to “compromise” and win what he wants.
- Illegal Immigrants: What he says – deport every single one, and their children will have to follow. What he wants – deport illegal immigrants who have committed serious crimes (not jay walking or a misdemeanor) and offer a path to citizenship for everyone else.
- Stop imports from Mexico and other countries: What he says – I’m going to put a 35% tariff on imported goods. What he wants – give American made goods a fair chance to compete with imported products by putting reasonable tariff on them – perhaps 8%.
- The Not So “Affordable” Care Act: What he says – Repeal and replace!!!! What he means – Repeal and replace an Act that will accomplish the same results, but in a financially responsible manor.
- The Ban on Muslims: What he says – Stop immigration from these seven countries for 90 days so we can assess the effectiveness of our vetting system, which I think is not strong enough. What he should have said: I am concerned that the current vetting process we have in place may not be effective enough to protect our security from ISS infiltrators, therefore I am going to temporarily halt, for 90 days, the processing of immigration requests from the seven countries that President Obama designated as Terrorist Strongholds. Etc., Etc.
- NATO: What he says – We will not stay in NATO when other countries only want a free ride, it’s an outdated organization and we will consider leaving it. What he means – many of the other members are not paying their fair share for the cost of defense and are not sending the troops needed in a conflict. He’s just positioning himself to get a better and fairer deal for America. Poor John McCain just doesn’t get it!
- Fake News: What he says: He means, and he is usually right.
Bottom line, listen to his words, but keep in mind he is opening up a dialog to negotiate for what he thinks is best for America. He’s letting himself look silly for making America better. Too bad none of the politicians would do the same.